Saturday, November 3, 2012

Eden's Elegant Nursery

Here another room tour, since I have beautiful photos of it from my photographer.  I have shared some of the nursery before - way back before Eden entered the world!  But, honestly, I didn't get all the finishing touches done until she was 5-6 months. 

  

At first, I tried to work with the awesome crib bedding my mom and Vicki made for the boys.  I still loved the green, brown, and yellow.  But, when I tried to pair it with anything else to add a little "girly" touch, nothing seemed to work.  My mom offered to make some new stuff for the nursery, and I couldn't say no!  John was totally awesome when I wanted to start from scratch with a girly (but not too baby-ish) room for Eden.  He had to work really hard for me...and the result was totally worth it!

John and his Dad painted the room on a whim one weekend.  Its Benjamin Moore Coventry Gray (PBK collection) colored matched in the Sherwin Williams Zero VOC paint.  SW paint is our favorite for walls so we stick with them.  I painted some of the trim (SW Dover White).

I joined Pinterest the day I found out I was having a girl!  :)  Projects and ideas galore!  These pom poms were not a Pinterest find, although I have seen them all over Pinterest now.  My sister actually found the tutorial for these.  I started with paper lanterns and then my friend, Mollie, and I painstakingly cut and glued fabric circle (hundreds? no, thousands!) to make these huge pom poms.  

I actually wish they were smaller - from a design perspective they might make the room unbalanced.  But, they are still pretty cool and Eden loves to look at them.  :)

I knew I wanted these letters from Rose Mille ever since my sister and I saw them there years ago and I said, "If I had a girl, I would love those in the nursery!".  My mom picked them up for me in Stillwater the week Eden was born.  They didn't get hung up until she was 5 months old!

I tried hanging a pennant above her bed with Command Strips, but it kept falling down so I knew I needed a way to hang her name that was more sturdy.  I ordered cute drawer pulls from Anthropologie and John hung them on the wall for me.  Then I added some ribbon.


The chandelier came from Auntie Amy's closet in her Minnesota house!  When she and Andrew moved out to Virginia for his med school years, I inherited a ton of fun stuff from them (mostly for free - thanks guys!), including this light.  I was newly pregnant, but told Amy I would take that chandelier in case this baby was a GIRL!  So, its pretty fun that Eden has her Auntie Amy's light in her room.  :)  John had to totally dismantle the light and rebuild it for me because it hung too low for our room.  I took off all the crystals and re-strung them myself.  Its perfect!

I needed something for the wall above the dresser, so I found this frame at a thrift store and painted it, then added the chicken wire.  I already had the colorful little clips, so its perfect for hanging special notes, cards, and photos.  The other things are just fabric leftover from the pom poms and scrapbook paper cut out and glued on in different shapes.  Semi-inspired by Pinterest projects I saw (then adapted to supplies I already had on hand).

I love that little card from my parents at Eden's birth.


 The dresser and crib are new!  Ikea.  :)   And the dresser holds a ton!  Which is good...girl clothes sure are hard to resist - they are all SO cute!  The little sheepskin adds some texture - the room could use a little more texture, but I am done purchasing for this room now.  :)
My mom made those cool modern valances from my favorite fabric we found on line!  She did an awesome job and then made a pillow to match.

 
I told John I wanted a new, white crib and he happily demolished our old drop-side/partially broken crib. I love the clean modern lines of this new white crib.  

The chair is the one John's parents bought for me before Logan was born.  I love it so much.  The ottomans are snagged from the Calypso St. Barth for Target a couple years ago, but they are perfect for her room.  The shiny dots are circle I cut from "Stainless Steel Contact Paper" from either Home Depot or Lowes (I can't remember).  I just stuck them on the wall with Mollie's help.  They are still stuck, but could be peeled off if we get tired of the look.

We kept the door off her closet because it was in bad shape and we haven't taken the time to refinish it yet.  Plus, I like looking at all the cute clothes in there!  I added some pennants in the closet and on the door frame to make it look like the door is off "on-purpose".  The black shelf I bought for cheap from my sis (again, thanks, A!) and filled it with special things.  Books, toys, keepsakes.  Its really cute.  I contemplated painting it...maybe I will someday, but for now it grounds the room as the one dark piece.

I love these little shelves.  There are special things on them.  Artwork from the boys, photos, her first stuffed animal, and other keepsakes.

And the sweet baby girl that started it all...well loved by her brothers.

All photos by Molly Bailey Photography: mollybaileyphotography.com

2 comments:

Amy said...

LOVE it!!

Our family said...

GORGEOUS!!! She is a lucky girl :) and such a beauty.